We provide residents of Northwest Arkansas with the knowledge and resources to conduct a Trap/Neuter/Release (TNR) program in their own community. We loan humane traps, provide the information needed to successfully complete the TNR.
In conjunction with the Lester C Howick Animal Shelter of Washington County, we sponsor a joint TNR program. To be eligible for this program, you and the colony you are trapping cats in must be in either an unincorporated area of Washington County or communities that are NOT within the city limits of Fayetteville or Springdale. If you reside in and the colony is in an eligible area of the county, there is no charge for this program.
How can I conduct a TNR?
1. Before you trap your first cat—HAVE A PLAN! Make sure you know which vet to take them to for spay/neuter surgery and vaccinations. Ask your vet about appointment scheduling, pricing, testing protocols, vaccines, illness or injured cats, and pregnant or in-heat females.
2. Decide if these cats can be returned to their original location of if they must be rehomed.
3. Determine which spay/neuter program is right for you to help defer the cost. There are many programs here in Northwest Arkansas.
4. Buy or borrow humane box. They can be borrowed (with a refundable deposit) from Spay Arkansas or The Humane Society of the Ozarks. Contact either organization for more details.
5. Make sure to familiarize yourself with how the trap works & verify that it is working correctly before attempting to trap a cat! The more smoothly this goes, the less stress for you and the cats.
PO Box 11174 Fayetteville AR 72703
Copyright © 2020 Humane Society of the Ozarks
If you're viewing our website on a mobile/smart phone, please use the button on the top left of your screen (the button has 3 lines in it) to access our options menu!